Weekly Wrap Up! Outlaws 1 point out of 4

The Mission City Outlaws had a busy weekend of games as they looked to get back in the win column to start the month of November.  The Outlaws were sitting last in the tight Harold Brittain Conference and a win or 2 would have put the Outlaws back in contention.

It all got started on Saturday night as the Outlaws took on the Port Moody Panthers for the first meeting between the 2 clubs this season at the Port Moody Arena.  The Panthers were coming into the game losers of their last 3 straight so the Outlaws knew they were going to be in tough during this game.

The Panthers would open the scoring early in the opening frame but Mission City would battle back to tie things up before the first period came to a close.  The second period started off much like the first as the Panthers would score not 1 but 2 goals to take a 3-1 lead.  Give credit to the Outlaws resiliency as they were able to get 2 back, 1 being a buzzer beater by Nick Thompson, and the teams would head to the final period of regulation tied at 3-3.  In the third Mission City would find themselves in penalty trouble and Port Moody was able to capitalize as they put 2 more past goalie Jeff Veitch and ended their 3 game skid with a 5-3 victory over the Outlaws.

The story from this game had to be the power play for Mission City as they were unable to capitalize twice on 9 attempts, something the team was looking to rectify the next afternoon at the Burnaby Winter Club to take on the Grandview Steelers.

In Grandview on Sunday afternoon the Outlaws were looking to put the previous game in the rear view mirror and move forward to try and make their way up the standings.

Mission City would start off strong in this contest as they controlled most of the play in the first and struck first blood only to see it erased late in the period and the score would remain tied at 1-1 after 1.  The second period would be pretty penalty filled as the Outlaws were killing off penalties majority of the middle frame but they did just that as they were able to weather the storm and keep it a 1-1 tie after 2.  In the 3rd the Outlaws would get the break they needed as a defensive breakdown by the Steelers would result in a 2 on 1 and Tre Mason would streak hard to the net and chip one past the Grandview net minder taking a 2-1 lead.  Just when you thought Mission City might escape with 2 points, the penalty trouble reared its ugly head as Josh Pollock was called for a hit to the head and on the ensuing power play, the Steelers would tie the game and send this one to overtime.

4 on 4 solved nothing which set the stage for thrilling 3 on 3 action.  As Brody Dyck was battling in the opposition zone he got a stick into the feet of the Grandview player and on the delayed penalty the Steelers would take the puck down the length of the ice where Jackson Waniek would be waiting to receive a beautiful pass and bury the puck into the open side taking the game 3-2.

The Outlaws once again had trouble clicking on the PP as they were 0 for 5 on the night.  They did manage, however, to get a single point which, for the time being, puts the Outlaws in a 3 way tie for 3rd place in the Conference.

Mission City will now have 5 days off as they won’t play until next Saturday when they host the Abbotsford Pilots at the Mission Leisure Centre.

As for now you’re up to date.  See you at the rink.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s